Sunday 22 April 2012

Mixed emotions

It has been an exceedingly changeable month and it feels like it will never end, all this spring/winter/spring/winter weather. And I doubt I'm alone in wishing it would just get warm already.

Last week the raised beds were frozen solid and covered in snow.

Unbelievably, the first batch of radishes are growing well.
Snow drifts on my pea protection.
And yet yesterday the soil was lovely and warm, and a pleasure to dig about in with my bare hands.

As I said, changeable to say the least. And our moods, us gardeners, are greatly determined by the weather. This month it has felt like I've been riding an emotional roller coaster.

So tired was I of not being able to get on with my spring planting, that I threw caution to the wind and starting planting out lettuce seedlings.

Wonderful warm soil for my lettuce babies. You may notice that I'm
going for a pretty potager look this year, with patterns & flowers.

I stole the seedlings from my cut & come again patch in the
greenhouse (bottom right hand side) as there were plenty spare.
While on the subject of the greenhouse, I have to show you a close-up of these Spring Green tulips at the back of the greenhouse:

So elegant.
Exquisite Spring Green tulips.
They really bring a heartfelt smile to my face. I keep going back into the greenhouse to have another look at them...

As I said, my mood has been as changeable as the weather.

2 comments:

  1. Jag tror att ditt sallatsland kommer att bli jättefint! Nu blev jag inspirerad att göra mönster jag också. Får se om jag kan klura ut något :)

    Kram
    //Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tack Linda, hoppas det. Blir så inspirerade när jag ser andra köksträdgårdar i tidningar och på bloggar. Såg nu dock att sniglarna har redan tagit några stycken >( Grrr. Men det var ganska väntat iofs då de är riktigt små. Som tur är så har jag många backups.
    Ha en fin vecka! Kram Laura

    ReplyDelete